Incubating Duck Eggs and Warmer Days

We candled the Muscovy eggs last night and of the 7, saw 2 that concerned us. One was damaged – there was a tiny impact point and a crack that spanned about half the egg. Not good. Since we didn’t have any plain wax for sealing the crack, we painted it with nail polish. Sounds weird, but some people claim they’ve successfully hatched cracked eggs this way. Worth a try. Note: only “five free” polish was used (no Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, or Camphor).

Alarmingly, the other “problem” egg had some bits of what looked like yolk floating around. This suggested it had become “scrambled” due to jostling, but since there were only a couple of floaters, we marked the egg and set it with the others in the incubator.

Now we wait for 7 days, when we’ll candle and check for development. We know these eggs are facing a lot of obstacles to hatching, but we’re going to give it a try. Even a couple of ducklings would be welcome additions!

Since the weather’s warmer, we put the rubber tub out for the ducks, and they wasted no time getting in and splashing it out. See happy Phoebe in the tub.

Phoebe_Bath

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s